Languages:   EΛ | EN

A programme of documentation concerning the Holy Monastery of Our Lady of Arakas is now in progress. Among the researchers contributing to the documentation are Christodoulos Hadjichristodoulou, Athanasios Papageorgiou, Andreas Nicolaides, Panayiotis Agapetos, Slodoban Curcic. 

The monastery is located to the northwest of the village of Lagoudera. The katholikon of the monastery was probably built in the late 12th century in the architectural type of the single-aisled church with a dome. A second wooden roof, covered with flat tiles, was built for the protection of the church from weather conditions. The katholikon was decorated in 1192 with wall-paintings of exceptional art in the post-Comnenian style.  The painter remains unknown.   Wall-paintings of the 14th and 17th century are also preserved in the church. Its carved wooden iconostasis is dated to 1763. On the north side of the church stands the two-storey monastic building which consists of a row of cells, on the façade of which an open porch is supported on wooden poles. This research is expected to lead to the publication of a relevant volume.